Resource and SI

Hi All!

I presented last night at the department chair meeting about students with resource minutes who are SI only. I wanted to share this information with all of you as well! Please take the time to review these 5 slides so that you are aware of what was shared with your sped teams. Let me know if you have questions! -Natalie

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1UALRy45yHweOPeXZObe16j3PH-DO-x0ghanfIcMsUuE/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

  1. I was at the department chair meeting and I thought it was an excellent presentation! However, the resource teachers who were at my table were concerned about what would happen to these students once the SI code was gone. I think we have a lot more work to do to educate them about other options. Also, building and district administrators should hear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand their concern but if the student no longer has a speech impairment, it would be unethical to say they do so they can receive extra services unrelated to their previous impairment. I totally agree with you Donna, we need to work as a district to find ways to serve these students through general ed RtI programs for reading and math concerns instead of modifying them when they shouldn't be. Thank you so much for giving us the pulse of the room so we know where to start!

      Delete
  2. Do you mind if we share this presentation with our campus, Natalie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Department chairs were also provided access to the power point and it is going to be posted on the SSS website.

      Delete
  3. This is great information. I'm having some serious conversations with my junior high team about "SI only" students who are in modified everything and I'm looking at dismissal before HS but we just can't at this point. I've found that explaining to them that not only is it not in the best interest of the student to slap on these services, it also puts secondary SLPs in an awkward ethical position when we've created situations where students cant be successful and get pressured into keeping them on. I'm glad I've got a diag who is more than willing to do the additional assessment needed to determine if these kids are truly SI only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you're having those conversations! I came into my elementary campus with most of my caseload SI only having additional resource services. We are getting that cog/achievement testing piece as their FIEs come up and most of them are qualifying with another disability area.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Informed SLP Grammar Guide

Picture Books for 4-6

MSB Goals