Picture Books for 4-6
Hi all!
I am trying to use books more in therapy and I would like to find some picture books (instead of chapter books) that are appropriate for 4th - 6th grade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!
Hailey
I am trying to use books more in therapy and I would like to find some picture books (instead of chapter books) that are appropriate for 4th - 6th grade. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!
Hailey
Have you looked at the bilinguistics website? There's an article somewhere on there that recommends some good ones for a variety of ages.
ReplyDeleteGreat Idea! Thanks! I'll check there.
DeleteI like using Jan Brett with older students - she has a lot more nuance in her art and the vocabulary lends itself well to synonyms or defining based on context.
ReplyDeleteAmelia Bedelia can be fun with that age too. David Shannon (How I Became a Pirate, A Bad Case of the Stripes) is surprisingly fun for 4th and 5th, haven't done his books with 6th.
Love How I Became and Pirate and A Bad Case of the Stripes!!! How I Became A Pirate has a sequel called Pirates Don't Change Diapers
DeleteThank you!
DeleteI've used the following in the past and liked them: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Weslandia, Martin's Big Words, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Grandfather Gandhi, Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters, Henry's Freedom Box, and The Wall.
ReplyDeleteLove Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!! It has a sequel called Pickles to Pittsburgh. (I like sequels because you can compare and contrast)
DeleteThanks!!
DeleteI love anything written by Chris Van Allsburg or Graeme Base.
ReplyDeleteSpecific books would be:
Van Allsburg:
Jumanji
Zathura (this is the sequel to Jumanji)
The Wretched Stone
Widow's Broom
Ben's Dream
Just a Dream
Polar Express
Base:
The Eleventh Hour
Enigma (I do a compare/contrast with Eleventh Hour)
Uno's Garden
Jungle Drums
The Worst Band in the Universe
This is an awesome list. Thanks!!
DeleteI have one more book to add to the wonderful list above. It's worked well even with 6th: The Old Ladies Who Liked Cats by Carol Greene Ill. by Loretta Krupinski
ReplyDeleteIt's fun and lends itself to discussion about science topics, the dependency of all things on all others. A simple but deep story.
I also love Chris Van Allsburg for older kids (especially The Sweetest Fig). I also like Patricia Polacco's books (e.g. Thank You, Mr. Falker). My older kids still seem to like the fractured fairy tales like The True Story of the Three Little Pigs - and you can often find them in multiple versions for compare and contrast.
ReplyDeleteSome other favorites include:
How Smudge Came
Goal!
Four Feet, Two Sandals
Two Bad Ants
Enemy Pie
The Gardener
Freedom Summer
The Name Jar
Grade For President