Consents outside of RTI

I am allowed to get consent for an initial evaluation (for a student that currently attends my school) outside of an RTI meeting?  This is the situation:

My counselor let me know that at the end of an RTI meeting about dyslexia concerns for a 1st grader, the parent brought up concerns about speech (dropping initial syllables, using incorrect verb tense or switching tense, dropping the -ing of words).  As the concern was originally dyslexia, another SPED evaluator was not present, and though they texted me I did not receive it in time to attend the meeting as the parent had to leave.  They "referred" to special education at the end of the meeting, without an evaluator, and gave me the folder after.  Am I supposed set up a time for a meeting to go over consents, or do I need to schedule another RTI meeting with the counselor? Just trying to make sure I do this the right way so that we don't set up a improper referral pattern. 

Thanks!

Comments

  1. I think best practice would be to schedule another RTI meeting with the entire team that you can attend in order to get more detailed information about the student's language skills from parent and teacher. It could be that what is reported may warrant a short term RTI Intervention plan over an FIE (even though dyslexia is also a concern).

    That said, I have met with parents after an RTI meeting to sign consent, but it was usually because they participated by telephone rather than me not being present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janie - if the RtI team made that recommendation, it is possible to have parents come in, outside of the RtI meeting, for you to get informed consent.

    I do recommend though that you let your team know that if this happens in the future, they should make every effort to bring you into the meeting before making a recommendation for evaluation, even if that may mean reconvening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Informed SLP Grammar Guide

MSB Goals

Picture Books for 4-6