ID/SI Eligibility Question

Hey everyone - Happy Winter Break!

I'm sure I'm not the only SLP writing reports over the break... 

So...  I have two 4th grade twins who are qualifying as Intellectual Disability (for the first time).  Both of their scores on the CELF-5 are significantly out of line with their VCI.  CELF-5 scores fall in the 50s-60s and their VCIs are 84 and 89.  VCI is a relative strength compared to their other cognitive processes.  If I take my scores into account compared to their other cognitive areas, language would be lower than all other cognitive processes.  

I looked at the subtests they use for VCI and Similarities and Vocabulary - both are skills we've been working significantly on this year.  They also have significant difficulty sequencing steps in a process or story, speaking in complete sentences, and getting their messages across so they are easily understood. 

Looking at their adaptive scales, one had communication rated significantly below average by the parent and average by the teacher (communication was lowest score for parent - tied with functional academics).  The other one had communication rated significantly below average for both parent and teacher and was the lowest secondary to "functional academics." 

Based on what our eligibility guidelines say, I'm not sure if they should continue to qualify for SI or not since on the cognitive assessment VCI is a strength.  My gut says "yes", but I wanted to get some second opinions.

Comments

  1. I can help you problem solve this but I need some more information. Please contact me and we can talk through it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Informed SLP Grammar Guide

Picture Books for 4-6

MSB Goals