Senior REEDs
Hi all,
I have received a few questions about senior REEDs from high school SLPs recently. I was a meeting on Friday with the district evaluators (new name: Campus Support Team) and they talked about senior REEDs so apparently, this has been a district question. Dr. Lawrence emailed TEA and they sent this reply:
https://drive.google.com/a/g.risd.org/file/d/0B_vsFUEPt4v7bnpQd0dWdHhqaW8/view?usp=sharing
We had a conversation about what their reply might mean for us and here are a few notes I took:
I have received a few questions about senior REEDs from high school SLPs recently. I was a meeting on Friday with the district evaluators (new name: Campus Support Team) and they talked about senior REEDs so apparently, this has been a district question. Dr. Lawrence emailed TEA and they sent this reply:
https://drive.google.com/a/g.risd.org/file/d/0B_vsFUEPt4v7bnpQd0dWdHhqaW8/view?usp=sharing
We had a conversation about what their reply might mean for us and here are a few notes I took:
- A senior REED is not REQUIRED. If the FIE is current and appropriate and you don't see any need for a senior REED, you do not have to write one.
- You should have a conversation about what exists to determine if it is sufficient. If it is still describing the student, you do not need to do anything further. If it is not still describing the student, you may want to write a senior REED.
- If the ARD committee concludes the student has everything he or she needs in order to transition into the world, there is no need to test.
- The ARD committee should consider if the student is going into post-secondary education. If they are, then the committee needs to consider if the student's evaluation is enough to get them the help they need. If college is their transition goal, the ARD committee needs to help them meet that goal. Check with the college board to see what documentation is needed for the student's disability. It is different by disability.
I hope that clears some things up for you!
- Nichole
Comments
Post a Comment