Has anyone ever heard of this language?
I recently got a parent evaluation request for a PK student whose home language is Brava/Barawa/Barawe/Chimwiini, which I've discovered is a minority language in Somalia and is a dialect of Swahili.
Has anyone ever experienced this language? I am trying to figure out if it is feasible to try to get an interpreter that speaks Brava or if I should just try to get a Swahili interpreter. I'm just afraid that this dialect may have some differences from standard Swahili.
If I'm able to get an interpreter, this will be my first evaluation with an interpreter, so if anyone has any pointers, please let me know. 😊
-Kristina Barth
Has anyone ever experienced this language? I am trying to figure out if it is feasible to try to get an interpreter that speaks Brava or if I should just try to get a Swahili interpreter. I'm just afraid that this dialect may have some differences from standard Swahili.
If I'm able to get an interpreter, this will be my first evaluation with an interpreter, so if anyone has any pointers, please let me know. 😊
-Kristina Barth
Hey Kristina, I am sure the bilingual team can guide you in more depth, but a few years ago I had a student like this with a very unique dialect and I ended up using the parent in the evaluation. I explained the assessments to the parent and described what information we needed. I wasn't able to call it standardized, but it was really helpful. Just a thought! Good luck! -Sarah Little
ReplyDeleteI would recommend contacting Mandy Staton. She is the interpreter genius and has a ton of great tools for working with interpreters.
ReplyDelete