Hey Secondary SLPs!
So today I used the article FCC chief unveils sweeping plans to repeal rules governing the Internet from NewsELA at the high school and it went so well that I’m canning my plans for the
JH and using the 7th grade reading level there tomorrow. The 9th
grade one has lots of good words for context clues and some nice figurative
language sprinkled in also.
Our objectives were to understand both sides of the debate,
choose a side, then we took turns stating our opinion and supporting the side
(gave them a staring phrase “I agree with ____ because ____” and now I’m
kicking myself for not using the phrases from Lead4ward). After each person
gave their stance and reason(s) we did a 123 Slap Down of “Strong Argument!”
and “Tell me more...” We discussed beforehand that “Tell me more” could be used if
something about the argument was unclear OR if you just wanted to counter
argue; that way they felt safe judging each other’s argument and no one felt
criticized)
It was really challenging for some of my students who are
working on perspective taking. When I told them that repeal of net neutrality
might mean their internet gets cheaper because they only use it for 1 think
(youtube) they thought it was great, but when I explained that whoever garners
ownership over youtube might decide to tack on a 20 dollar a month premium just
to access it, they were against repeal. They were really struggling to
understand that both were possibilities.
Just wanted to share in case anyone's looking for a quick lessonplan for the week. :) I've been able to target almost all my kids goals just using this activity today.
Happy Tuesday!
Comments
Post a Comment