Data collection
Y'all I came across this video last night and my mind is blown. I've spent the morning creating data sheets for my junior high caseload and my high school caseload is on my agenda for this afternoon (and part of Saturday, let's be honest). I am so excited to be able to show parents charts/graphs of their child's progress at ARD meetings. Our google drive has some great folders with data collection sheets used by other SLPs in the district. What are your favorite ways to collect data? Any tips/tricks for various grade levels/classroom types that have served you well and saved you time?
-Sara Wilkerson (Westwood JH / Berkner HS)
-Sara Wilkerson (Westwood JH / Berkner HS)
I attempted to do this last school year. I started out in Google Forms and it just got to be too overwhelming. It was harder for me to take data in "real time" on google than it was on paper... and for me, it wasn't worth the extra time to plug it into the system. After I tried google, I used Microsoft OneNote to take data, which was slightly easier, but doesn't give you the cool graph options that Google Forms does. As "techy" as I am, I prefer taking data on paper.
ReplyDeleteIn the end, I went back to my 1 data sheet per student system within physical working folders. (I wish we could add pictures to comments, because I would snap a picture and upload it). The way the working folders are laid out is: Left Side: "Raw Data" Sheets and any general worksheets/work samples we have completed. Right Side: Progress charts and baselines/progress monitoring tools.
I did change the way my data sheets look this year. I have a basic "grid" with the date, the goal # and space for 20 trials ("Raw Data"). It's continuous, so if I need to go beyond 20, it's easy to do so. If I need to write subjective notes, I write them here. Then, when I get my %, I transfer it to a page on the right side of the folder that lists their goals and has slots for the more numbers-based data. (Progress Chart)
I use the LCRM before every ARD to track progress for language students and to help me figure out where to go next with the student. I bought a quick curriculum based social language screening tool from TpT that I use periodically for progress monitoring for students struggling with social language... and I have a single word "articulation probe" (I uploaded it to our google drive a while back) that I do every 9 weeks to measure progress for articulation beyond my normal weekly data. If the student is only /r/ - I use the word section of the Entire World of R Advanced Screening to progress monitor.
This is all great info. Thanks! I'll let you know if I go back to paper. ;) I'm hopeful I stick with the digital stuff because I think updating it after ARD when goals change will be quicker. I also think those visual graphs are going to be so powerful for discharge conversations. I'm trying to take in what our grow conference keynote speaker said about how we've got to tech it up and be teaching for the future.
DeleteI loved her message about "tech-ing it up." =) Let us know how it goes!!
DeleteSara I loved that video! Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm thinking about trying it too. I've never made a QR code, but definitely loved the idea so that you can easily scan and get to whatever child's data form you're looking for! Do you know if she has a video about how to do that?
ReplyDeleteQR codes are pretty easy to make. You just create whatever you want the code to send you to (like a document or form) in google, then copy and paste the link into this QR code generator: http://www.qr-code-generator.com/. You then copy that image into whatever you want to have in order to scan it at a later date. I hope that helps!!
DeleteI actually didn't do the QR code portion just yet. Instead, I've got a digital version of my lesson plan and I copied the link for the student's data google form, then highlighted their name in the group on my lesson plan, then right clicked, then went down the "link" and made each student's name a link to their form. It's worked out alright so far today.
DeleteSara- I'm dying to know...did you stick to "techie" data collection or go back to paper pencil?
ReplyDelete