Digital Visual Supports
Hi everyone! Sara Wilkerson here!
I just wanted to share something I'm doing to support some of my consult high school students this year. One student in particular has done great in previous years on his pragmatic language goals, but is now a freshman and having a difficult time transitioning to high school. He still demonstrates great understanding of pragmatic language, but he is having a hard time with size of the problem and having an appropriate reaction. He is very averse to being singled out in any way. When he gets overwhelmed, if a teacher pauses and tries to talk to him or if his case manager comes in to talk to him, his shutting down snowballs. He is very concerned about other people's perspectives of him and does not want to be perceived as different.
SO... his case manager and I met and talked about how we could provide him tools to use independently that will avoid him feeling singled out and avoid him having to leave his classroom. We have shared a size of the problem .pdf with him to view when needed (he has had this goal previously more than once, so we think a visual support will be a great reminder!). We are also sharing a calming breathing .gif file with him. I found this file online and downloaded it to share. I did not share the direct link that I'm sharing here because this host website can have things that are not school appropriate on it. If you want to download it, simply right click, save image as, and make sure you're saving it as a .gif file.
If anyone else has any great visuals or resources that they share digitally with their students to promote independence, leave a link in the comments!
I just wanted to share something I'm doing to support some of my consult high school students this year. One student in particular has done great in previous years on his pragmatic language goals, but is now a freshman and having a difficult time transitioning to high school. He still demonstrates great understanding of pragmatic language, but he is having a hard time with size of the problem and having an appropriate reaction. He is very averse to being singled out in any way. When he gets overwhelmed, if a teacher pauses and tries to talk to him or if his case manager comes in to talk to him, his shutting down snowballs. He is very concerned about other people's perspectives of him and does not want to be perceived as different.
SO... his case manager and I met and talked about how we could provide him tools to use independently that will avoid him feeling singled out and avoid him having to leave his classroom. We have shared a size of the problem .pdf with him to view when needed (he has had this goal previously more than once, so we think a visual support will be a great reminder!). We are also sharing a calming breathing .gif file with him. I found this file online and downloaded it to share. I did not share the direct link that I'm sharing here because this host website can have things that are not school appropriate on it. If you want to download it, simply right click, save image as, and make sure you're saving it as a .gif file.
If anyone else has any great visuals or resources that they share digitally with their students to promote independence, leave a link in the comments!
Comments
Post a Comment